I recently had an unpleasant experience with the slot-in Super Drive in my 2011 iMac: the empty drive did not take in dvds nor cds – when I tried inserting disks they went halfway through and then something seemd to block the disks.
I rebooted, pressed the eject button multiple times, resetted pram and nvram, nothing happened. Drive seemed to be broken, Disk Utility and System Information showed an empty drive.
Since this is my main work machine, I was not too happy about the thought to bring it to a certified reseller, waiting for at least a week to be repaired etc.. (there is still not a single apple store in Austria, hello Apple? Even Bologna has an Apple Store!)
Some googling brought up the idea of tapping the disks inside the drive, applying a bit of force (which seemed not to be a brilliant idea without breaking anything nor did it work). Not to talk about the “solution” with using 2 plastic credit cards..
Finally I fould a useful post searching the Apple support communities and Dan8954′s suggestion did save my day: The command
typed into the terminal unlocked the drive (somehow it seemd to have thought there is a disk in the drive) – since then it is working flawlessly again.
I worked on a client project recently and I encountered during finalizing the project that the website kept crashing constantly in IE 8 under Windows XP. Since I develop under OSX it took me quite a while to nail down the problem, it turned out that the browser crashes only when 3 certain criteria are met:
- the jQuery library v.1.6.2 is used
- a facebook like button is used (e.g. <fb:like layout=”button_count” … >) and the xmlns namespace is set
- a background-image is set on the <body> element via CSS
If all these 3 things are happening at once, and the page is viewed in Internet Explorer 8 under Windows XP in ‘IE8 Standards Mode’ (not Quirks Mode!), the browser tab crashes constantly on reload.
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7">
so I tried to do this with conditional comments (I did not want to force IE9, too) but that did not help.
Probably the easiest solution is to use a newer version of jQuery.
I created a demo-set, it might help others to track down and avoid this (very rare, but very annoying) issue. Make sure you use IE8 and Windows XP to see your browser tabs crashing :)